The NBA Draft is the annual event where teams select players who are eligible to play in the NBA. Over the years, there have been many great draft choices who have gone on to become legends of the game. Here are ten players who are often considered among the greatest draft picks in NBA history:
- Michael Jordan – Drafted third overall by the Chicago Bulls in 1984, Jordan went on to become one of the most dominant players in NBA history. He won six championships, five MVP awards, and was a 10-time scoring champion. He was also known for his clutch performances and his ability to elevate his game in crucial moments.
- LeBron James – Drafted first overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003, LeBron has established himself as one of the most versatile and dominant players in the history of the league. He has won four championships, four MVP awards, and has consistently been one of the top players in the league for over a decade.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar – Drafted first overall by the Milwaukee Bucks in 1969, Abdul-Jabbar went on to become the NBA’s all-time leading scorer, a six-time NBA champion, and a six-time MVP. He was known for his signature skyhook shot and his longevity, playing for 20 seasons in the league.
- Magic Johnson – Drafted first overall by the Los Angeles Lakers in 1979, Johnson was a versatile point guard who led the Lakers to five championships. He was a three-time MVP and known for his flashy style of play and ability to make his teammates better.
- Bill Russell – Drafted second overall by the Boston Celtics in 1956, Russell is considered one of the greatest defensive players in NBA history. He won 11 championships in his 13-year career and was a five-time MVP. He was known for his shot-blocking and rebounding ability and his leadership on the court.
- Shaquille O’Neal – Drafted first overall by the Orlando Magic in 1992, Shaq was one of the most dominant centers in the history of the league. He won four championships and was a three-time Finals MVP. He was known for his size, strength, and athleticism, and his ability to overpower opponents in the paint.
- Tim Duncan – Drafted first overall by the San Antonio Spurs in 1997, Duncan was a versatile power forward who won five championships and two MVP awards. He was known for his fundamental skills, his consistency, and his ability to lead by example.
- Larry Bird – Drafted sixth overall by the Boston Celtics in 1978, Bird was a versatile forward who won three championships and three MVP awards. He was known for his shooting ability, his basketball IQ, and his competitive spirit.
- Hakeem Olajuwon – Drafted first overall by the Houston Rockets in 1984, Olajuwon was a dominant center who won two championships and two MVP awards. He was known for his footwork, his shot-blocking ability, and his versatility on both ends of the court.
- Kobe Bryant – Drafted 13th overall by the Charlotte Hornets (but traded to the Los Angeles Lakers) in 1996, Bryant was one of the most skilled and competitive players in NBA history. He won five championships and two MVP awards and was known for his scoring ability, his work ethic, and his desire to win at all costs.
In conclusion, these ten players are among the most legendary and impactful draft choices in NBA history. Each of them brought something unique to the game and left an indelible mark on the league. While there may be debates about who was the “best” draft pick, there is no doubt that these players are among the greatest to ever play the game